Wednesday, June 15, 2011

New Adventures

"Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"-Aunt Mame
For a variety of reasons, which I may expound upon in a future post, I have decided to do my best to make the best of the areas I find myself in and explore. I love exploring. I've made it a point to try and visit at least one new place a week for the last couple months and I've usually made good on it, sometimes multiple times.
I'm naturally an introvert, my comfort zone would be to sit at home and work on the computer or read a book. I still do this, but I've been forcing myself to see my world and experience and it's been very rewarding.
A couple of weeks ago, I started getting into foursquare which is a mobile phone program that takes your position, correlates it to nearby venues, and gives you points based on if you've been to similar locations or that spot before, newer or exotic places being given more points. I use it like a virtual journal of the places I've been going and find it pretty handy.
This evening, I went all over the place, I went rollerskating, I had dinner at a restaurant/bar that specialized in 50's decor and music. Before both of those, I went for a run, swim, tan, and volleyball at a nearby beach. I played volleyball with three guys who, for all I know in my stereotypical wisdom, may have been russian operatives over here. They were fit, decent looking, spoke fluent russian and were very sharp in observing my navy shorts and haircut and tried asking me some questions throughout the game. But they were a lot of fun for volleyball and above average skill. For all I know, they were curious immigrants that I'll never see again.
I've also been using the beach to practice some of my acrobatics, which I've let slip for a little while. I'll find a fairly quiet corner of the beach and start some stretching, then stretch into a back-bend before starting the fancier stuff. Since I've restarted up, along with the normal front and backflips along with roundoffs and back handsprings, I've gotten a lot better at my handstands and also the sideflip. I'm now working on a one handed back handspring.
Can I just say I miss the relatively warmer water of SoCal? The waves and temperature of New England are such that the Canadians might have to actually bring a towel to warm up afterwards. This warm weather boy is not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment