Thursday, June 16, 2011

Yale and other sundries


OWNLIFE-it's a newspeak term from the book 1984 by George Orwell (which I'm currently reading) and had it's base meaning in individualism and eccentricity. In the dystopian world created in the book, anything that suggested a taste for solitude, even going on a walk by yourself was considered slightly dangerous. I must be a very dangerous person then.
I've said before that left to my own devices, I'd probably sit in my room and read or work on the computer, rather nerdy and antisocial of me. I enjoy being with my closer friends but I do not make friends easily, being outgoing is not my typical MO but I typically interact at least intelligently. It doesn't occur to me that other people may enjoy the pleasure of my company. Even in conversation, I'll interject little bits but I prefer to listen to other people talk and learn about them, both from a habitual curiosity and was also brought up to keep a good filter on your mouth to keep out of trouble. So these posts are again out of character and comfort zone for me. So, back to my point, I find a lot of freedom is derived from doing things singlehandedly, the rollerskating of yesterday was due to a whim of being only a mile from home and spontaneously deciding to find a nearby roller-rink and get some unusual exercise. Very spontaneous and not practical for a group with varieties of interests and schedules to correlate.
But back to today, I went on another run and am loving my new iPhone app Nike+GPS . It doesn't require the sensor in the shoe and it's got this really cool feature of showing you a color-coded route of where you ran and the color is associated with the pace you're running at at that location show I can see where I slowed down or set a very good steady pace. I love the applying of numbers and statistics to all the exercises and I find it pretty cool.
Yale was a fun adventure, I listened to the Netflix Movie "Suspicion" by Alfred Hitchcock featuring Carrie Grant and Joan Francis. Classic Hitchcock and Cary Grant was spot on as usual, Joan apparently got an academy award for her part too. However, I didn't really enjoy the story as some of the other Hitchcock works like Rear Window. There were too many pointers and the heroine honestly should have been killed, but Grant played a supreme schmuck. Charming schmuck but a certifiable schmuck so who cares if he's killed anyone or not? He was irresponsible, shiftless, a liar, gambler, and treated his wife as a valueless commodity.
At yale, there was a definite shift in atmosphere. Everything went to the proximity RFID passes on the doors, the architecture is decidedly old fashioned. And I loved the tall structures, tall things appeal to me in general and have for as long as I can remember. I think most people enjoy the uniqueness of a tall perspective but I have a passion for them. The architecture was incredibly classical. It looked like the entire campus was a series of castles. The population went to a decidedly uptick in the percentage of foreign heritage. And since it is an ivy league with a fair amount of environmentally conscious students and people with discretionary income, I saw a large increase in hybrids and convertibles. Altogether, I enjoyed my afternoon there.
It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment